It's In the Air...
The evenings are starting to get cooler, the smell of the breeze is beginning to change, and the sight of school buses back on roadways are all signs that fall is practically here. Believe it or not, the first yellows and oranges of changing leaves are starting the poke their heads into our skyline, and before we know it fall foliage will be really starting to peak. As we notice these changes in the season, we pause and take a deep breath and bid our last farewell to summer. Then we lift our chins and get ready for what is probably the most beautiful time of year to be in the Adirondacks... FALL!
Fall Events & Excuses to Attend Them
Along with the changing of the seasons comes a calendar of events that is sometimes so jam-packed, it's hard to decided exactly where to start. So I'm just going to skip telling you what all the events are (the complete events calendar can do that), and just get right to the top 5 excuses why you need to drop everything and come check into the Adirondacks for some fun.
Excuse NO. 1: "I need a Little Outdoor Retail Therapy!"
Who doesn't need a little retail therapy? The icing on the cake is that in the fall the colors are so amazing in the Adirondacks, we take shopping outdoors. Here are a few of the events that offer a unique shopping experience and some of the most amazing treasures, arts, crafts, and antiques you are going to be thrilled to find:
- The Rustic Furniture Fair (September 12 & 13) - The Adirondack Museum and the streets of Blue Mountain Lake will fill with beautiful locally-made rustic furniture. Whether you're looking for that one-of-a-kind piece for your living room or a hand-crafted king sized bed for your master bedroom, the works of art you will find at the Rustic Furniture Fair are made by some of the best craftsmen of the trade.
- The Adirondack Mountains Antique Show (September 16-20) - As the colors of fall start to progress, so does the opportunity to treasure hunt. During the Adirondack Mountains Antique Show the streets of Indian Lake & Blue Mountain Lake fill with a wide variety of vendors offering an assortment of antiques, rustic art, camp furniture, antler art, and more. This 5-day show will truly fix your need for a little retail therapy!
- Speculator Region Town-Wide Garage Sale (September 19 & 20) - Extend your treasure hunting south from Indian Lake and hit up some more great finds during the town-wide garage sale in Speculator, Lake Pleasant & Piseco.
- Inlet Fall Festival (September 19 & 20) - Then loop back around to Inlet for the annual Inlet Fall Festival at Fern Park. Enjoy a wide variety of entertainment and activities as you browse through the offerings of over 50 unique vendors and artisans.
- But wait there's more! Additional event shopping opportunities will be held throughout the season as part of some of the other fall events and festivals. To see all of the cures for shopping deprivation check out the complete calendar of events.
Excuse No. 2: "My Taste buds are Bored!"
Ever get tired of eating the same old things over and over again? Fall in the Adirondacks offers no excuse for this to happen. Fall events and farmers' markets will be popping up with all sorts of goodies to excite your taste buds. Check out the seasonal offerings at the area restaurants as you travel from event to event and then grab your next meal or snack right at the event itself. Here are the events that are already making my stomach rumble:
- Walk Through the Woods at John Dillon Park (September 13) - This is a progressive dinner like none you have ever experienced before! Enjoy a 4-course meal prepared by Paul Smith's College & area restaurants as you walk from lean-to to lean-to along the beautifully maintained, fully-accessible trail network of John Dillon Park. Tickets for the Walk Through the Woods at John Dillon Park sell out quickly and must be purchased in advance. If you want a treat for all of your senses, check out this event.
- Apple Fest in Speculator (September 26) - You say apple and I'm there! Apple cider, apple pie, apple crisp, apple donuts, apple chutney, apple butter, apple chips... (Yes, my husband often refers to me as the "Bubba" of apples - not that I have anything against shrimp).
- Oktoberfest at Oak (October 4) - If you have ever had the chance to bite into something Chef Lou at Oak Mountain's Acorn Pub & Eatery has whipped up then you will be anticipating his take on German as much as I am. On the menu for this year's Oktoberfest you will find Sauerbraten, Bratwurst, German Potato Salad, Red Cabbage Salad, and Stewed Apples. I hate to wish September away, but I'm hungry!
- Long Lake Harvest Fall & Fire Festival (October 10) - One of your last chances of the season to grab a bag of Lawson's famous Kettle Corn. If you've been to an event that they have been at, then you know why it is important to grab one more bag before winter. While you are at the Harvest Fall & Fire Festival make sure to get your fill of other fall treats, arts, crafts, festivities, and more!
Excuse No. 3: "The family Really Needs at Least One More Adventure Before the Snow Flies!"
Whether it's teaching the kids to fish during Adirondack Kids Day in Inlet or signing up for a guided excursion during the Great Adirondack Moose Festival, fall events in the Adirondacks are not the idle kind. Don't forget how long winter can be, especially if snow sports are not as accessible in your neck of the woods. Make sure to take advantage the enjoyable fall days ahead and plan at least one more family adventure before the season ends.
Excuse No. 4: "I need to add a little color to my life..."
A life without color would be pretty dull. One weekend in the Adirondacks can add enough color to spice things up for quite a while. Enjoy the warm hues of the leaves as they contrast off the cool blue waters. Take in the colors of arts, crafts and exhibitions at the fall festivals. "Paint" your own perfect weekend in the Adirondacks this fall and carry those memories into the winter whites in our future.
EXCUSE NO. 5: "IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I'VE SHOWN OFF MY amazing MOOSE CALLING SKILLS."
And last, but certainly not least, you will find what is probably one of the most unique excuses to escape to the Adirondacks this fall: dusting off your impressive moose calling skills at the Great Adirondack Moose Festival in Indian Lake! One of the most popular events during the 2-day festival is the Moose Calling Contest at the Indian Lake Theater. Do you have what it takes to claim these bragging rights? It's all in good fun, and definitely a sight to see (and hear).
Time to start clearing...
Armed with excuses, it's time to start clearing the schedule and planning your fall Adirondack getaway. We'll even help you find your lodging of choice. From events to festivals, waterways to trails, the Adirondacks has everything you need to have a colorful fall getaway. Now all you have to do is come experience it!
Check out these additional awesome ADK events: