With a shoreline of just over 2 miles, this isn't the largest lake in the Adirondacks, but it sure is one of the most scenic.
From the intersection of Route 30 and Route 8 in Speculator follow Route 8/30 toward Wells. Continue just under 1 mile, turn right on County Route 11, then turn left on Gilmantown Road. Follow that for 2.8 miles to the lake access on the right.
Located close to a town road for easy access, it still seems to have that backcountry feel. Paddle around the lilies and pickerel weed for some added adventure and birding. If you're up for a neat adventure, Speculator Mountain is approached best via the pond. Most of the shoreline is private property but the northwest end of the lake is part of the Silver Lake Wilderness.
- Type of Launch: Easy, sandy shoreline
- Type of Carry: short, easy carry of less than 100 feet
- Type of Water: Well protected by the nearly tall mountains with calm conditions. No motorboats.
Shoreline fishing is pretty decent here at the launch area. If the water is low enough you can work down the shore and also wade out for quite some distance as well.
This is the only boat access and for cartop only, no motorboat access. Access the weeds and lilies for the best bass fishing.
- Fish Species Types: Rainbow trout and smallmouth bass. The Spring 2019 stocking is for 800 hatchlings of rainbow trout, 8.5 - 9.5 inches.
- Special Regulations: Follow the fishing season for smallmouth bass