Experience the Adirondacks — it's a scenic paradise!
Hamilton County is located in the center of the six-million acre Adirondack Park in northern New York state. With public recreation lands and waters totaling one million acres and comprising 95 percent of Hamilton county, there's an adventure around every corner, up every mountain, and down each river. And, while wilderness is always right at your fingertips, our villages are conveniently scattered throughout the region, making restaurants, lodging, and a variety of attractions available.
Plan an unforgettable fall adventure
Hamilton County is packed with fun activities and opportunities for adventures unique and memorable.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Hike up hillsides made brilliant with gorgeous fall foliage, topped by outstanding views of expansive wilderness.
- Sail into the past with an excursion on the WW Durant, a replica steamboat on Raquette Lake. Enjoy lunch, brunch, dinner, and scenic cruises with historical narration about the incredibly rich history of the region and the people who made it a must-see destination.
- Sleep under the stars. Camping is one of our favorite pastimes and we have many campsites for all style of camper, from backcountry to full amenities. Fall means quieter campgrounds and plenty of opportunities for snuggling by the fire.
- Fish in a wild lake, river, or stream. We have miles and miles of great waters for hooking trout, bass, walleye, and land-locked salmon.
- Explore the world-class Adirondack Experience, The Museum on Blue Mountain Lake. Roam the interactive, hands-on exhibits to learn more about the region’s natural and cultural history.
- Visit our unique towns! From mom-and-pop shops to outstanding restaurants sourcing local products, you'll find our towns charming and the proprietors welcoming.
Festivals and events
Don’t forget all the festivals and events that celebrate the best of this bountiful season:
- Celebrate a wildlife icon with the annual Great Adirondack Moose Festival in Indian Lake.
- Ring in fall with friends and family at Oaktoberfest at Oak Mountain in Speculator, featuring German food, live music, and activities for all ages.
- You can find a full list on our events page.
An outdoor vacation destination
You'll find a seemingly endless expanse of wilderness to explore in the Adirondacks, where there are adventures to be had at every turn. Start planning your Adirondack vacation today by browsing our lodging options!