Experience the Adirondacks — it's wild!
Scenic and memorable, Hamilton County is located in the center of the six-million acre Adirondacks in northern New York state. With public recreation lands and waters totaling one million acres and comprising 95 percent of Hamilton county, there's an adventure around every corner. And, while wilderness is always right at your fingertips, our villages are conveniently scattered throughout the region, making restaurants, lodging, and a variety of attractions available. There is so much to experience in the heart of the Adirondacks.
Plan your winter adventure
There is no shortage of winter fun in Hamilton County. Explore over 750 miles of groomed snowmobile trails and over 500 miles of cross-country ski and snowshoe trails.
Below are some ideas to get you started:
- Hope/Benson: Stay in a cozy cabin at Lapland Nordic Center and cross country ski 50 kilometers of groomed trails. This famed cross-country ski trail system ranges from beginner to expert and is designed by former Olympian Olavi Hirvonen. Ski rentals and lessons are available at the center.
- Speculator: For downhill adventure, Oak Mountain, with a 2,400-foot summit, offers an outstanding 270-degree view of the surrounding areas. The ski center boasts 22 trails and a 650-foot vertical drop.
- Inlet: Fern Park offers 20 miles of groomed trails along with a warming hut, sledding hill, and indoor skating rink. Ski under the stars, at night, on 1.2 miles of well-lit trails.
- Indian Lake: Check out the world class snowmobile trails that will take you on a scenic and expansive journey throughout the Adirondacks.
If you would like to stay indoors visit the Adirondack Experience, The Museum on Blue Mountain Lake. Their extensive collection of permanent and rotating exhibits will connect you to the way people have lived, played, and worked in the Adirondacks since the 19th century.
Festivals and Events
Don’t forget all the winter festivals that celebrate the best of the season and Adirondack region:
- Inlet and Long Lake have winter carnivals that bring together spectacle and some outdoor winter fun.
- Compete or spectate in the annual Mike Norris Ice Fishing Derby in Raquette Lake. There will be prizes and lots of hot chocolate.
- Go birding in Long Lake at the annual Winter Birding Weekend. Join in on the field trip and a social dinner among birders.
- Experience ten days of winter fun at the 5th annual SnoCade in Indian Lake. Ski, snowmobile, snowshoe, and scavenger hunt in this marathon of all things snow. Beginners are welcome.
- Holiday shop at the Christmas Country Tour in Indian Lake. Choose from a variety of handmade crafts and other artisanal gifts from local artists and craftspeople.
- You can find a full list on our events page.
An outdoor vacation destination
You'll find a seemingly endless expanse of wilderness to explore in the Adirondacks, where there are adventures to be had at every turn. Start planning your Adirondack vacation today by browsing our lodging options!
WE INVITE YOU TO EXPERIENCE IT ALL IN THE ADIRONDACKS!