Located in the southern Adirondacks, Wells, Hope, and Benson serve as the serene gateway to Hamilton County.
Benson is home to Lapland Lake Nordic Vacation Center, a resort specializing in cross-country skiing with 50 kilometers of private trails. Open year round, you can ski, fish, hike, kayak and more all from the comforts of your Adirondack lodging.
Heading further north on Route 30 before you get to Speculator is the town of Wells. This quaint little town is making a comeback in a big way, with new restaurants, shops, and even a music venue. Wells is becoming a cultural hub, great for those looking for a quiet getaway with lots of fun experiences. Wells is also home to some great events, such as the annual Old Home Days Festival held every August and the Ice Races held on Lake Algonquin in the winter.
Just a little farther north is Hope, nestled along the Sacandaga River on Route 30. Hope has two restaurants and is home to the only farm in Hamilton County — Hope Valley Farms. They can be found at the Speculator Farmers Market as well as in Blue Mountain Lake in the summer, selling their fresh veggies and flowers. Hope is also home to Groff Creek and Tenant Creek Falls.
Visitors love to vacation these towns for a quiet, scenic getaway. You are also in close proximity to Speculator, where you can do all your grocery shopping, plus there are more dining and shopping options.
Attractions and fun facts
- Lapland Nordic Vacation Center features 24 miles of groomed cross-country ski trails fit for experts and beginners. They offer lessons, rentals, a sauna, a restaurant and bar, and onsite lodging in tupas (cabins).
- The Sacandaga River Sculpture Park is home to esteemed artist's John Van Alstine's giant metal sculptures. The grounds were once home to a 19th century woods product mill. Open by appointment only.
- The Groff Creek trail used for hiking was once an old logging road and has three waterfalls.
- The Tenant Creek Falls trail is used for hiking, birding, fishing, and fly fishing and is accessible year-round. It has one waterfall.
- Lake Algonquin, a large glacial lake spanning 265 acres, is a great fishing destination.