Solar Eclipse 2024
On April 8, 2024, a total solar eclipse will drape the Adirondack mountains and upstate New York in darkness! This rare event is an astrophotographers paradise, and travel-lovers will find that the Adirondacks are an exceptional place, if not the best place in the country, to view the eclipse. Hamilton County, in particular, is filled with small towns and big outdoors, translating to many quiet and peaceful options for viewing the eclipse.
The path of totality for a solar eclipse can happen anywhere in the world, but more often than not the shadow casted by the eclipse lands in the ocean, near the poles, or not even hitting the Earth at all! The fact that this narrow strip of shade is running right through the Adirondacks is enough to drop what you're doing, make plans to attend an eclipse-themed event, and get excited. Why? You'll have to wait another 375 years to experience a total solar eclipse in the Adirondacks again.
When will the eclipse start, and how long does it last?
Hamilton County has numerous communities in the path of totality. Check out the FAQ below for information on the timing of totality.
The best places to watch
All around the region, businesses are organizing eclipse events, and there are parks and outdoor spaces with exceptional views of the sky. Grab your solar eclipse viewing glasses, and find the spot that suits your interest! The list and map, as well as the FAQ section below, offer some suggestions for your viewing experience.
- Adirondack Experience, The Museum on Blue Mountain Lake - A watch party with food trucks, live music, a campfire with s'mores, art activities, NASA livestream, and more! Tickets required. Parking included with admission.
- Arrowhead Park - 160 State Route 28, Inlet
- Sacandaga River Community Park & Pathway - State Route 30, Speculator
- Geiger Arena, with option to hike to top to Mt Sabattis - 6 Pavilion Lane
- Indian Lake - Town-wide celebration with designated viewing areas, live music, crafts, and more.
- Cabins at Chimney Mountain - Event with access to scenic waterfront property. Tickets required.
Stay tuned for more event updates as we get closer to this remarkable date. Mark your calendars, invite your friends, and get ready to be part of a cosmic spectacle like no other! If you're curious about what communities close-by are doing for the eclipse, sign up for eclipse updates below.